Hosts Alysse Bryson and Heather Venegas welcome guests Samantha Pauley and Christine Pennington for a candid discussion on navigating the holidays while in recovery.
Samantha is the national director of virtual services for the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation and the director of Hazelden Betty Ford in Beaverton, OR. Christine is in recovery from alcohol use disorder and is a former participant of Residence XII, a program for women in recovery.
Together, they explore various strategies for coping during this challenging time, emphasizing the importance of staying connected to a support system, practicing self-care, and setting boundaries. They also offer valuable advice on having a solid plan for recovery during holiday festivities and powerful reminders for continuing helpful strategies after the holidays.
Tune in to feel seen, heard, and supported in your journey towards maintaining recovery and resilience.
Resources from the episode:
- Connect with Samantha Pauley on LinkedIn.
- Learn more about the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation and the work they do here.
- KCRC has put together a Surviving the Holidays Resource List with links to organizations offering support and articles with more information on recovery during the holidays. Find the list online here.
- Peer Seattle is open to support the community 365 days a year, from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. All are welcome to join them for a potluck on Christmas Day at 1520 Bellevue Ave, Ste 100, Seattle. Click here to learn more about their services.
- Recovery Café is also open every day of the week, offering meetings, meals, activities, and other support. Visit them at 2022 Boren Ave, Seattle, or online for more information.
- Connect with show hosts Alysse Bryson and Heather Venegas on LinkedIn.
- Learn more about King County Recovery Coalition and the work they do here. To become a volunteer, a member, an advocate, or an event guest, visit their website.
- The King County Recovery Coalition is a regional coalition of the Washington Recovery Alliance (WRA). Learn more about the WRA and the work they do here. Want to find a way to get involved? Click here to become a member, volunteer, or donate to help change hearts and minds around mental health and substance use disorder in Washington state.
- If you are experiencing substance use disorder, problem gambling, and/or a mental health challenge, please visit the Washington Recovery Helpline for resources and a 24-hour helpline.
King County Recovery Conversations is a podcast on a mission to celebrate recovery and help break the stigma of addiction and mental health. In each episode, policy experts, program professionals, and those with lived experience join host Heather Venegas to share stories of hope, resilience, and healing in our community. Together, we’ll learn about the various pathways to recovery – and the services and support systems available to anyone impacted by addiction and mental health. Whether you’re someone seeking recovery, someone in recovery, a family member or friend, or a healthcare professional, this podcast is for you.